Health and Wellness
- Their mission is to help you understand your new health coverage options so you can enroll in a plan that works for you and your family. If you run a small business, they’ll help you find a plan that works for you and your employees. Self-employed? That's covered too. There's also a new 800 number you can call to get your Marketplace questions answered by a customer service representative, available 24/7: 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325). On calling, you'll be welcomed to the Health Insurance Marketplace and asked to give your state.
- PubMed operated by the National Library of Medicine searches Medline, articles from journals selectively indexed by Medline, and four molecular biology databases.
- Sponsored by the Department of Health and Human Services, this is a gateway to the vast amount of consumer health information available from the federal government. Includes medical dictionaries, links to libraries, medical journals, support groups, etc.
- Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy
- Online version of the 17th ed. of the Merck Manual. Users will find chapters on medical diseases, disorders, and related drug information. Entries provide information such as causes and risk factors, symptoms and diagnosis, prevention, and treatment.
- Merck Manual Home Edition
- The Home Edition transforms the language of the professionals' version (above) into commonly used English while retaining the vital information about diseases, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment. This site provides access to both a text and interactive version which includes photos, animations, videos, pronunciations and a comprehensive search engine.
- Nutrition Analysis Tool
- Sponsored by the Council on Food and Agricultural Research at the University of Illinois-Urbana/Champaign. Users can analyze a variety of foods for various nutrients: calories, fat, cholesterol, different nutrients. Users can analyze one or numerous food items. Can be used to create personal menus and can provide gender-specific analyses.
- The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Information on cancer, including data on support groups for patients, loved ones, and survivors. The site also lists clinical trials and keeps close tabs on newly approved medications.
- American Dietetic Association
- Site provides up-to-date information on hot topics in nutrition, a suggested reading list and answers to frequently asked questions.
- Journal of the American Medical Association
- Online version of the world's most widely read medical journal.
- HeartInfo: Heart Information Network Front Door
- Independent educational web site that provides a wide range of information and services to heart patients and others interested in learning about lowering risk factors for heart disease.
- The Heart: The Engine of Life
- Developed by the Franklin Institute Science Museum, the Heart is a detailed exploration of the human heart.
- The Best Medical Sites on the Web
- A reviewed list of the very best medical sites on the web. Priory Lodge Education's editors have compiled an ever-changing list of the very best medical Internet sites available.
- Mental Help Net
- Most notable of the categories is the section on Disorders and Treatments where there is a list of topics with short descriptions on each and links to other sites and support groups. Links range from specific mental illnesses to broad topics such as loneliness, divorce, or aging. MHN gives sites ratings.